1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
--buried a parent (burned him up, actually)
--did a hoarding cleanup
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
--didn’t make any, and won’t again
for 2017, my goals are:
--write, write, write
--compile photo book(s) and get published
--help two other folks get published
--get out of current apartment
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None, although being back in the Northeast on vacation feels like it
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
1/14 – dad died
11/8 – ugh
11/10 – Black Sabbath show
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not losing my shit
9. What was your biggest failure?
Can’t say I really had one. The work year wasn’t my greatest, but I ended with a bang.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I fucked up both knees somehow and was really having trouble for a while, but I got back to 100%
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Les Paul Standard. BUTTER
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mom, as always. Wouldn’t have made it through Dad’s death and the cleanup without her. Stepdad John was also a big help. And they both have been soldiers dealing with his cancer treatments.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A very great number of voters.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What made you really really really excited?
Lots of great live music, from Black Sabbath to Ghost to Kraftwerk to Mia X.
16. What song will forever remind you of 2016?
"Porcelain Monkey” by Warren Zevon
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner. But not thin.
c) richer or poorer? richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. Seeing friends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I went to Mom’s. Next year? Maybe hosting.
21. How will you be spending New Year's?
Saw Gov’t Mule in NYC. Next year? No clue.
22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What were your favorite TV programs?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I think I’ve crossed the line from revulsion to hate with our shitbag-elect. But nobody in my personal life.
26. What was the best book you read?
Shit, I can’t remember. Haven’t been reading many. :(
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
Peace with my dad’s life and death.
29. What did you want and not get?
Can’t think of anything.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Bad Santa 2? I haven’t watched many this year.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
45. I went to see Slayer and Anthrax and visited my grandmother’s grave the day before, then went over to Starkville to deal with some stuff at my dad’s house. Also got to meet my longtime LJ friend Jennifer and grab some grub.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Wish my dad were still here.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I continued my strategy of not becoming a fashion victim by ignoring it totally.
34. What kept you sane?
Staying in contact with family and close friends during trying times. Work, oddly enough. It has a way of keeping me centered and actually recharging my batteries with fun and challenging stuff.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Phoebe Cates, as ever.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Shitbags and the people who support them.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person(s) you met?
Lonnie. Wait, not Lonnie. Moe. No, it couldn’t be Moe. . . . Shit, I dunno. Yo mama.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
Pay attention. It’s all valuable.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
First thing that comes to mind is “My Shit’s Fucked Up.” But it’s OK.